Hair Restoration Marketing: It Has It’s Challenges
The hair restoration and hair replacement industry can be an especially difficult challenge when it comes to digital marketing strategy. Wigs, rugs and toupees have been around forever, it seems, and although it is a huge industry with millions of potential patients and clients, the challenge for hair loss clinics boils down to:
- Wigs, rugs and toupees have, over the years, gotten a really bad name for themselves. This is basically because your grandfather’s bad toupee looked really, really terrible and who wants to wear something that looks that awful?
- Really exaggerated claims about hair loss treatments claiming to do everything and in reality doing nothing but making your wallet lighter, and
- Hair loss and balding (in both men and women) is embarrassing and nobody wants to talk about it.
- One studio owner put it to me this way: “When it comes to hair restoration and hair replacement, nobody sees what we really do, because what we really do looks totally natural and you just can’t tell. So nobody notices our finished product.”
- How do you market a product that nobody can tell is there?
So the challenge for us was basically “How do you tell the story and engage potential website visitors and give them the confidence to pick up the phone and make an appointment for something they desperately want but are afraid of getting involved with because “who can you trust?”
Video Marketing for the Hair Replacement (or any other) Industry
Okay, so first off, we’ve been working with the hair replacement industry for over 10 years and gotten to know a lot of independent hair restoration studio and clinic owners on a personal level. They are really great people who are totally passionate about what they do. And one of the most amazing ways we’ve found to tell the story about what these dedicated people do every day is through video, both on their websites and on their Youtube channels and in Social Media.
There are basically two types of videos: (a) the “huge” sales pitch, and (b) the real life experience video of people who have actually tried it and want to share their personal, unfiltered story with the world. These types of people are few and far between when it comes to hair restoration, but there are some who really want to do it.
Internet Video Marketing
Here are two videos we helped create starting with the concept, through editing and online promotion. The first video shows Tino, one of our colleagues, who had a friend here in Syracuse with noticeable male pattern baldness. They idea behind this story is to prove that this stuff actually works. The other video is about Adam, a 20-something guy from Minneapolis who “decided to take a chance” when he called one of our clients, the Hair Restoration Institute of Minnesota in Bloomington, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis.
Take a look at these two videos and think about how this kind of video could be beneficial to you and what you do. In today’s digital marketing landscape, there is something to be said for “home movies.”
So regardless of what industry you’re in, the takeaway here is simple: when done honestly and transparently, video has the proven ability to not only entertain, but to educate, engage, build trust for your brand, and convert visitors into not only qualified sales leads, but into lifelong customers. These two videos are living proof, because that is exactly what they have done.
When it comes to hair replacement and hair restoration marketing, we’ve been doing it for over 18 years. If you own a hair salon or hair replacement studio, give us a call. We’re here to help. We are also proud members of the American Hair Loss Council.