What Facebooks News Feed Changes Mean for Your Business Page
Facebook recently shook the digital marketing world with the announcement of their News Feed algorithm change which puts a priority on personal accounts over business pages. This understandably meant a lot of anxiety among business owners who have invested a lot of time and effort in their Facebook business page.
While the Facebook news feed changes that have just been rolled out will definitely decrease your page’s organic viewership, that doesn’t mean all is lost in terms of your company’s Facebook marketing and viewership. Here’s a brief overview of what Facebook’s news feed changes mean for you and your business and how you can still survive and thrive in the new world that Facebook is becoming.
With their latest news feed update, Facebook is essentially prioritizing personal interaction and “meaningful conversations” over business “broadcasting.” According to Mark Zuckerberg, “As we roll this out, you’ll see less public content like posts from businesses, brands, and media. And the public content you see more will be held to the same standard – it should encourage meaningful interactions between people.”
Facebook is starting to adjust their News Feed in favor of:
- Personal posts from family and friends
- Personal posts looking for advice or recommendations from family and friends
- Posts from Groups, since this is where a lot of person-to-person interaction occurs
- Posts that generate long comments (in other words, posts that someone took the time to respond to and didn’t just hit the like button… a thoughtful, length, response).
What does this mean for Your Business Page?
As you might expect, look for a drop in organic reach of your Facebook business page posts. Keep in mind that this is NOT the end of your Facebook Business Page as we have come to know it. The challenge for businesses now is to create meaningful, engaging content that will inspire people to talk respond to, and share with their friends.
Tips for Facebook Content Creation:
- Focus on creating more original, meaningful content on your page to inspire conversations. How? First, focus on authenticity. Consumers have been shown over and over again that they respond to real, honest, personal marketing from real people and are really turned off by “sales” type talk and hype.
- Tell stories about real people. Highlight more storytelling in your content and videos.
- Consider getting into Live Videos on Facebook, this is a fantastic way to directly communicate with your customers.
Consider how you can use Facebook Ads and promoted posts. This will help get your business posts seen in people’s news feeds.
- If you’ve limited your social media marketing to just a Facebook Business page, seriously consider expanding your horizons. There are real opportunities to be had on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.
- Tell your Facebook audience to use the “See First” option on Facebook so they can see your content first when logging into Facebook.
The landscape of social media is constantly changing, but this creates continuing opportunities for you and your business to grow and succeed and reach the target audiences you want to reach. You just need to be aware of what’s going on and find the right guidance and strategy to take advantage of these changes.